Subject: Re: ebXML adoption?

Message text written by Duane Nickull
>I feel it is very important that the EDI can be mapped to the ebXML by
the Intelligent Agents.  There is definately a need to protect Company's
investments into EDI in instances where the company wants this.

If General Motors doesn't want this, then they are 100% able to use XML
and XML only for their business needs. <

Duane,

Hmmmm. What we are really talking about here is INTEROPERABLITY,
not conversions.  Existing EDI systems have many more years to run
in-situ.  The Bizcode approach (http://www.bizcodes.org) allows us to
develop new and interesting XML based mechanisms (primarily to
meet expanding B2C needs) while retaining compatiblity to B2B systems
using EDI because you can accurately re-use elements (fields)
seamlessly between the two.  The clear need is to extend the old EDI
transaction model to allow more flexibility based on process needs.
This then steps forward to the Repository needs - to be able to track
and re-use existing processes defined as DTD sets (again where
Bizcodes provide the underpinning) becuase now - instead of the old
EDI model of (relatively) limited fixed transactions sets - we have a
much more flexible mechanism so we have to provide users the
ability to easily locate process sets based on business function - and
maintain and version them transparently.

Not all easy - but this is where the B2C needs across the internet,
coupled to the backend B2B needs is taking us.

DW.