Subject: RE: One definition of "syntax-neutral"

I should have been clearer.  The metamodel names (or model names which
correspond to specific DTDs) get resolved to XML namespaces.  This mapping
does NOT assume that namespaces are hierarhical.  By convention, OMG ( XMI
specs recommend this) standard metamodel names are uniquely named.
Metamodel versioning information can also be specified in XMI.

Eg:   metamodel name : org.omg.cwm.resources.relational
	XML DTD namespace : xmlns:CWMRDB

	This model corresponds to a specific DTD assigned a specific XML
namespace.  (CWMRDB as fragment below shows).  We also show (Actually
generate cross rererence!) the other DTDs that this DTD depends on (all
these dependencies are in the UML Model!)

   <!-- The following must precede this DTD: -->
<!--   XmiFixed.dtd -->
<!--   Foundation.dtd -->
<!--   DataTypes.dtd -->
<!--   Model_Management.dtd -->
<!--   KeysIndexes.dtd -->
<!--   Behavioral_Elements.dtd -->

<!ATTLIST XMI  xmlns:CWMRDB CDATA #IMPLIED >

<!-- PACKAGE: CWMRDB:Relational -->

<!ENTITY % CWMRDB:ActionOrientationType
           ' xmi.value (  row| statement ) #REQUIRED'>

<!ENTITY % CWMRDB:ConditionTimingType
           ' xmi.value (  before| after ) #REQUIRED'>

For example in the CWM metamodel (data warehousing) there are 27 DTDs each
assigned their own metamodel name in the UML model (eg: Relational, Record,
OLAP, Transformation...) and there is a generated DTD for each.  Together
collectively we call these models CWM.  One or more of these DTDs can be
used together as needed.

When these DTDs or their corresponding documents are managed in repositories
or directories, those implementations can use nesting if it makes sense -
but this is outside XMI scope.

Namespaces allows us to more clearly identify and refer to elements being
used when multiple DTDs are referenced.