Subject: RE: ebXML Representtion of Metadata

Actually I see SOAP as supporting this type of interaction.  There was a
considerable discussion during the V1.1 work about this, and I think the
result was embracing both styles of interaction -- pure or typical RPC with
formatted interfaces and generic XML message passing.

Regarding the "bridge" concept, we definitely agreed SOAP as it stands is
primarily effective as a bridge technology -- bridging portals or object
models across the Internet. As a CORBA vendor we would recommend IIOP across
the Internet for a full-function protocol (as MSFT might similarly recommend
DCOM I suppose), but we are facing the reality that the Internet has
different qualities and characteristics than an intranet.

We look at SOAP as a starting point, and encourage ebXML to join or support
the potential W3C work on extensions and enhancements.  We do not know of a
better alternative starting point.