Subject: Re: ebXML metamodel write-up

Peter:

This is not quite what we were talking about (although I totally agree
with what you were saying).  The dependency is between the data element
layer and the business process layer.  Think of business processes as
verbs and data elements as nouns.
The dependency arises from the issuance of a statement of business
requirements to a trading partners.  For instance, I - as Trading
Partners #1, place an edict on my website (perhaps in an eco.xml format)
stating that I require a confirmation for each purchase order I place
and that I do not consider the PO placed until such time as I receive
confirmation.   That is a business method but it is dependent on the
data element layer (noun) because I also have to specify what I need in
that confirmation.  I may require the name, address, original PO number
and total price in the confirmation.  Those are all data elements (core
components perhaps?).  Without being able to specify what i require for
a reply, my business requirements may not be met.

I have another issue which you are probably the best person to answer.
I noticed on the BPM groups v 2.0 draft, lines 126-131, they talk about
creating a market place (like a glorified Yellow Pages) within ebXML.
My opinion is that ebXML should not concern itself with the specifics of
the marketplace for the following reasons:

1)  It is not a core functionality
2)  It is not within the original mandate of EbXML
3)  It duplicates work already done (specifically by eCo)
4)  We already have enough work to do in the actual process

We defined the scope of ebXML as did other groups and there were two
areas that are specifically out of scope -  one is the original
discovery mechanism for locating another company (we are not in the
search engine business) and the second is the delivery of the actual
goods (we are not a transportation provider).

EbXML is very much concerned with discovery of business process,
metadata, data elements and core components.  We are also concerned with
the transmission of messages concerning delivery confirmations (if that
is required by business interests).

Lines 126-131 also state that the requirement is identical to the first
4 of 7 layers of the eco framework.  We mandated not duplicating the
efforts of others and using existing methodologies wherever possible.  I
think ebXML should not preclude such a business discovery mechanism from
being implemented but we should not do so at this stage.  I foresee the
eCo mechanism for discovery as being complementary with the ebXML
infrastructure.

Comments?

Duane Nickull