Subject: Re: Registry of Registries: RE: Comments on ebXML-V_0.7

"Petit, John" wrote:

> Operations aside, the question is whether we should address the registry of
> registries in one of the working groups, and whether Arch should touch upon
> it. As this seems fundamental, I would think the sooner this gets decided
> upon the better.
>
> Also, back to your original Arch doc excerpt that "a registry must be able
> to conduct indexing of distributed repositories." This is only dealing with
> a single registry for a give set of repositories. The ebXML world will have
> many, many registries and associated repositories. The registry of
> registries allows for search across the entire set of ebXML repositories,
> giving cohesion and unification to the ebXML framework for e-commerce. This
> was not addressed in the Arch doc. Do you think that it should be?

yes - I believe this will be required.  It will greatly aide medium -
large sized companies (ie - one that are unlikely to use an ASP model)
in finding data elements and business processes for use within their
organizations.

The first thing to do is to define the requirements:

- must have contextual searching capabilities
- must be able to search on (1) key phrase then qualify against context
- must have web based agents who can crawl and spider content
- must maintain a stateful collection of XML data
- must be able to harvest data from distributed locations accross the
web
- must have a machine interface well documented
- shall have a 'refreshing' mechanism

etc. etc.

We should address this in Tech Arch.

Duane Nickull