Subject: RE: OTA Tag name rules

Hi,

	I agree. Adding version numbers to tag names is not optimal.

	Can we not add the VersionNumber as an attribute - something like
<Cust.Pay.CreditCard VersionNumber="1.0">, so that whoever wants to use
version numbers can use them and it does not break the stylesheets et al.

	cheers
-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Ferris [mailto:chris.ferris@east.sun.com]
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2000 10:49 AM
To: Sam Hunting
Cc: Scott Hinkelman/Austin/IBM; ebxml-architecture@lists.ebxml.org

Sam Hunting wrote:

> > Prefixes will use a period (.) as a separator.
>
> Are there advocates for this practice on ebXML?
>
> > Example: <v1.Cust.Pay.CreditCard>

Yech! Putting the version in the tag name seems to me to
be a colossal mistake. I could see adding a version attribute
to each element (possibly) but having different tag names
would necessarily require code modifications if in nothing
other than XSLT stylesheets. Not a good idea, IMHO. I certainly
would hope that ebXML would NOT adopt this practice or standard!

> > OTA's tag naming conventions include the specification version and
content
> > hierarchy as prefixes and, as a result, will require greater bandwidth
> transmit than tags with
> > more cryptic codes. OTA made the decision to include this much text in
the
> tags
> > so OTA could convert the data model to XML-Schema as
> > easily as possible. XML-Schema will not need the context or hierarchy
> included in the tag
> > names, which will reduce their size.
>
> Is there anyone on the list privy to these discussions?
>
>     (1)  What is the "context or hierarchy" involved that can't be
expressed
> by more typical nested containment?

Good question!

>     (2) Why can't the "context or hierarchy" be expressed in DTDs as
opposed
> to schemas?

Good question

>     (3) Why put the "context or hierarchy" in the element names?

Yes, indeed! What ever for!

--
    _/_/_/_/ _/    _/ _/    _/ Christopher Ferris - Enterprise Architect
   _/       _/    _/ _/_/  _/  Phone: 781-442-3063 or x23063