ebxml-awareness message

Subject: Re: ebXML list of participants

It's probably not worth any effort to maintain at all, and the list
should probably be removed.  At this point, ebXML is big enough and well
known that its mere existence is enough to cause people to want to sign
up and find what's happening.  As time goes on, the lurkers may even
decide to participate. There's a privacy issue here, also.  And no one
is fooled into thinking that mere subscription to a mailing list
indicates support..  This reminds me of the old XML/EDI mailing list
which called anybody and any company which subscribed to their mailing
list a "member."

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Memorial Pkwy.
Dublin, OH USA 43017-3305
+1 614 791-1600

Visit FORESIGHT Corp. at http://www.foresightcorp.com/
"Commerce for a New World"

----- Original Message -----
From: Karl Best <karl.best@oasis-open.org>
To: <ebxml-awareness@lists.ebxml.org>; <ebxml-stc@lists.ebxml.org>
Cc: Karl <karl.best@oasis-open.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2001 2:17 PM
Subject: ebXML list of participants

OASIS IT staff has been maintaining the ebXML list of participants
(http://www.ebxml.org/participants/participants.htm) by hand, and adding
new
names every few weeks. This isn't really a list of people who
participate,
but rather a list of people who subscribe to any the ebXML lists,
whether
they particpate or not. (Given the numbers, it's actually a list of
lurkers:
there's ~2000 people on the list, but probably only a couple hundred of
those really participate.)

My question is whether we should make the effort to continue to keep
this
list current. Over 900 people have subscribed to the mail lists in the
past
five weeks! Do we want those 900 people added (by hand) to the
participants
list? I think anyone who is truly participating has been doing so for
quite
some time, so the people subscribing now are just lurking.

So, we can either 1) continue to manually add new people to the list as
they
subscribe, 2) stop adding people and just leave it where it's at today,
or
3) actually come up with a list of participants (defined as what?) and
publish that list on the web page.

Feedback, please.

</karl>
Karl F. Best