ebxml-awareness message

Subject: Re: ebXML list of participants

I feel I must reply on this issue. I am a lurker. In my current role as a
Senior Business Analyst at CommerceQuest and as a career consultant Business
Analyst and Technical Writer my livelihood depends on staying current in all
areas of technology that pertain to software development and business
process. I will never again code, gave that up twenty plus years ago, so I
don't need to know enough ebXML to develop systems, but I will always work
directly with developers and business environments that do. I can hardly
write requirements documents for ebXML systems if I don't know anything
about ebXML. I certainly can't design and document business processes and
transactions if I don't understand the underlying technology. Therefore it
is critical that I belong to bodies such as this, that I learn as much as
possible from whomever is possible; ergo, Thank You, I greatly appreciate
being permitted to "lurk" here.
Beyond that, I have to constantly sell myself. If I state to a prospective
employer that I am a member of this listserv, and that I use it as a
continuing education tool so that I can competently work with ebXML
implementation, then they must be able to verify that. If you dismiss me as
a lurker from your published membership list you do me a great disfavor. As
a member of STC and IEEE I am listed and recognized, yet no more a direct
contributor there than here.
I submit that by lurking here, learning ebXML and promoting its use, and
working with ebXML as it gains industry acceptance, I am in fact a
contributor to the cause and not a lurker at all.
Finally, I have twice offered my services as editor and technical writer to
help develop and maintain documentation created by this body, and have had
no response. I will be an active member and contributor to the cause should
anyone take me up on my offer.
All that being said, I reiterate my plea that those of us who enroll and
lurk be publicly listed as participants.
Thank you,
Ed Manley