ebxml-awareness message

Subject: Re: External ID draft

David RR Webber has used an unattributed quote from "one independent
analyst" to "refute" Farrukh Najmi; see the thread "Re: External ID
draft", at http://lists.ebxml.org/archives/ebxml-regrep/200103.

   "Relative to the OAG and RosettaNet, the ebXML effort
   is both late and incomplete: "late" in that its initial release is
   not yet final; "incomplete" in that the ebXML standards will not
   address semantics. In a reversal of what the OAG has done, the
   ebXML initiative is entirely about an implementation framework. It
   expects industry groups to create semantic standards that will be
   implemented on top of the ebXML technical architecture."

I could swear I just read this last week, and I remember it because the
bit about ebXML being "late" stuck in my craw.  It's not late (yet),
because it was always going to be an 18 month project to develop the
specs.

David RR fails to attribute the quote to R. Altman and W. Rishel, who
wrote "Will the Real B2B Standard Please Stand Up?," Gartner Research
Note T-12-9066 from 27 February 2001.  Lifting quotes out of context
without properly attributing them is wholly unprofessional.  And, David
RR, once having done that and still failing to completely humiliate
one's foil is even more unforgivable.

Altman and Rishel do define what they mean by "semantics:"

   "A semantic standard defines the format and structure of the
   "documents" (e.g., purchase orders, invoices, advance ship
   notices) that will be exchanged,..."

ebXML never promised document schemas - only the framework for
developing core components for those schemas.

So, David RR, whatever does this have to do with registry entries,
Predicate Clause revised syntax, or whatever it is you're talking about?

As an aside, there was one quote which the POC'ers will enjoy:

   "...immediately after the ebXML demo, the RosettaNet consortium
   issued a press release to point out that it didn't have to run demo
   days because it has real-world implementations."

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Pkwy.
Dublin, OH USA 43017-3305