Subject: RE: Definition of business process - Need for Semantics

Christan,
We are more on-track than you think.  When I refer to specification, I am
referring to a precise specification of the full b2b business process - not
just the external artifacts (E.G. DTD).  This includes semantics such as
schema, constraints, dependencies, types and sequencing .  Behind this
specification (or model) is a Meta-model of the process and information
exposed within the process.  This Meta-model may be expressed in UML or
textual forms (even an XML form would be possible).  This specification is
the end result of -some- process, probably modeling but is independent of
the modeling methodology.  It is this distinction between this precise
end-result specification (which is also a model - even Java has a model) and
the modeling process that I was trying to make more clear (but perhaps made
less so).

So, absolutely - there is a Meta model and that Meta model drives the
external artifacts and the rest of the technical architecture.  You can call
instances of that Meta-model  a model, a specification, a language...
whatever makes the concept more clear.

We also need to make it clear that while the b2b business process does tend
to flow back into the business, it is not necessary to have exactly the same
model exposed internally - some adaptation is possible.  It is this
adaptation that removes the requirement to "model the business" or change
the business to use the external system.

So, I think we are in violent agreement.

Cory