Subject: Re: 16 Mar. Conference Call notice

Rémy Marchand
API*EDI
Suite 284       et                  6 boulevard Debord
19 place de l'IRIS               13012 Marseille
92400 Courbevoie              Tél : 04 91 70 53 26
Tél : 01 49 01 00 08
Fax 01 49 00 13 79
Portable : 06 11 02 02 37
email : rm-edi@worldnet.fr
----- Message d'origine -----
De : Bob Haugen <linkage@interaccess.com>
À : <ebXML-BP@lists.oasis-open.org>
Envoyé : mercredi 15 mars 2000 17:54
Objet : RE: 16 Mar. Conference Call notice

> I am concerned that there is no agreement on what we mean
> by "business process" or "metamodel" and thus no idea what
> we are proposing to do in Seattle April 3-7.
>
> In preparation for the conference call tomorrow, let me suggest
> some definitions - or at least some ideas that might lead to
> an agreed definition.
>
> I intend this as a straw-man:  not as an edict, but something
> to get the participants at least discussing the issues.
> If you think I am missing some critical issues, you are
> probably correct.  Help?
>
> 1. The focus of the ebXML business process metamodel
> should be the external relationships of trading partners,
> not the internal processes of individual companies.

Comment : The internal process can influence the external relationship.
Shall I accept an order from a client which has unpayed invoices in its
account receivables

> 2. The external relationships we should focus on first
> are those involved with purchasing, or exchanges of
> resources between parties.

Comments : We should not consider such priorities which are too specific to
a certain domain. ebXML BP has to be more generic.

> 3. B2B purchasing happens in two main contexts:
> production components or supply chain relationships,
> and non-production purchasing (office supplies, MRO,
> etc.)  The processes differ dramatically between those
> two purchasing contexts.
> An ebXML business process metamodel must handle
> both of those contexts - not just non-production purchasing.

Comment : This is question which should be addressed, if only because there
is some confusion in the minds of those who are deciding what to introduce
in their company. OBI shows that there can be several steps to follow,
requisitions based upon Web catalogues consultations, then firm ordering
bases upon usual EDI.
Also crucial is to distinguish between contract formation, which can involve
discussions on prices, discounts, and ordering currently following a
contract formed previously