Subject: RE: Collaboration Services (was: Business Service Interface)

Jean-Jacques,

	I was able to retrieve through Bob your original message which was posted to the wrong dist list (ebXML-BP@llists.ebxml.org, with double "l"). Could you please post it back?

Anyway, here is my comment on it.

I did not fully understand the position which is expressed in your message. What Bob was saying (if I interpret correctly) is, in summary, that :
	- sequencing is not a pattern that could be generally used to
	  model the business intelligence
	- that some software (Bob mentions two levels) is required to
	  manage long collaborations (and their status)

The part of your answer that I retained is that "what is important is to provide a neutral framework such that people may have the choice of architecture to implement behind the collaboration".

What was originating this thread (my little paper on the BSI) was indeed oriented to start a discussion on what you say is important. Some of the reasons why this is important are in Bob's mail. So I do not think that the comments from you and Bob diverge too much.

What may be diverging is the judgement of what is "a neutral framework". I agree with you that the ebXML specs should not design how this software should be developed. But I believe that some specifications of the functionalities provided by this piece of software would be very important to grant runtime interoperability across different implementations. The management of long conversations and the choreographic model of the conversations "may" fall (IMHO) inside these specifications. In some way, if (I say "if") we accept the concept that state-management is something important, I guess that the state should be managed the same way everywhere in terms of functionalities (then, if one uses a Relational DB and Java and somebody else uses some other mechanism, that is not important).

	The real point is the "if"...

Best regards

/Stefano