Subject: Clarification on proposal

To those who attended this week's metamodel meeting:

I wanted to point out that the proposal I presented (based on work by Jean
Jacques and Antoine) represents a complete hand-off layer between BP and TP.
It contains all the BP knowledge that TP needs. It is built directly around the
current FSV layer, but it does not depend on pointers to several other layers.
The WHOLE metamodel is one the one diagram you saw (reattached below). It seems
like this point was lost because we started discussing the use of pre-conditions
vs. some other form of sequencing.

I think that we should strive for this kind of a simple, but complete hand-off
layer rather than a collection of pointers into the 4 layers of the current
model.
A complete hand-off layer will also give us a single DTD for what minimally
should be registered about a business process in the repository. This DTD is
simple enough to support both the "thin" and the "thick" partner agreements, and
will allow users to create simple business process definitions directly at this
layer.

If we can get agreement on that, then I am sure we can also
quickly decide on the right sequencing mechanism within that
hand-off layer.

thanks,
-karsten

Karsten Riemer,
Director, Information Architecture,
Enterprise Management Architecture Group
Sun Microsystems Inc.,
MailStop UBUR03-313
1 Network Drive,
Burlington, MA 01803-0903