Subject: Re: taxonomy discussion at OASIS

Eugene,

I agree with the distinction you make between supporting multiple
taxonomies and multiple coding schemes. They are indeed quite different.

FWIW, ebXML Registry has always had a very flexible classification
scheme that supports multi-faceted (i.e. multiple classification
schemes) classification using taxonomy trees that may be multi-level
deep. At Tokyo we further refined this flexible approach to support
context sensitive multi-faceted, multi-level classification. The ebXML
Registry specs define a general mechanism for adding such classification
or taxonomy trees to the registry while leaving the exact definition of
specific taxonomy trees to Core Components team.

The net effect is that a registry content may be classified by multiple
classification schemes. Each classification is either context free or is
defined in a specific context. Please refer to chapter 11 of Registry
Information Model v0.41 for details on teh ebXML Registry Classification
scheme support.

Farrukh

Eugene van Roessel wrote:

>  Duane,
>
> Good idea.
>
> I see however a trap in this example. The statement "The registry
> allows for multiple classification schemes":
> -is true for keyword search, as you showed clearly in your example;
> -does not have to be true when browsing through a classification
> scheme to find the desired product. To do that, the classification
> structure should be stored in the registry.
>
> The big deal here is that your suggestion promotes using multiple
> coding schemes - not taxonomies as I consider it.
>
> The difference:
> - A coding scheme does basically nothing more than attaching a code to
> every product. Preferably this is a unique code per product and
> preferable the code is unambiguous.
> - A taxonomy, or classification scheme, on the other hand defines a
> structure between products within that taxonomy. This structure is a
> hierarchic structure.
> To put it shortly, a taxonomy adds a classification tree, connecting
> the products. A coding scheme is merely a set of product codes -
> altough the coding might imply a relationship between them.
>
> So, Duane, I think your suggestion is valuable, but it has to be
> recognised that to support a classification scheme fully, the ‘tree
> structure above’ should be stored somehow in the registry.
>
> Eugene
>

> At 10:14 22/11/00 -0800, Duane Nickull wrote:
>
>> Karl:
>>
>> This subject has been tackled by a few bold individuals.  The idea I
>> put
>> forth was to allow multiple classification schemes within a
>> specified
>> information model.  The RA can allow semantic references suggested
>> by
>> the SO or Data Steward to be referenced from the repository item.
>> An
>> Example which may work is a fictional "Skateboard" company.   They
>> may
>> have a regrep item which contains all the information about their
>> business including their products.  The document instance could
>> appear
>> similar to this:
>>
>> <ItemsWeManufacture>
>>   <item>
>> <classification  Scheme="NAICS"
>> value="SKT4-556">Skateboard</classification>
>> <classification  Scheme="UNSPSC"
>> value="9111234-4444">Skateboard</classification>
>> <classification  Scheme="UPC-FRANCAIS" value="10764001051">Board du
>> Skater</classification>
>>   </item>
>> </ItemsWeManufacture>
>>
>> This model would allow for efficient retrieval of items by writing a
>>
>> parser handler that can iterate through the child elements of each
>> <item> element seeking for a attribute value equivalent to a
>> recognized
>> Scheme.  A contextual query can also seek for a match on an
>> attribute
> [...]

Farrukh

begin:vcard
n:Najmi;Farrukh
tel;fax:781-442-1610
tel;work:781-442-0703
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:www.sun.com
org:Sun Microsystems;Java Software
adr:;;1 Network Drive, MS BUR02-302;Burlington;MA;01803-0902;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:najmi@east.sun.com
fn:Farrukh S. Najmi
end:vcard