Subject: RE: ebXML in W3C? and OASIS Business Transaction group

Thanks Karl,

So there is a difference in start dates when each of the activities began. It's not possible then for the BTP team to have known what the OASIS ebXML work efforts would be, but there is a difference of at least 3 calendar months; if you count May 11 as the start date for parts of ebXML in OASIS.
Actually it's probably 3 or more months (as the OASIS ebXML TC teams are in 'startup mode'), and that's a long time for technology. To quote Bob Sutor at the ebXML Vancouver Opening Plenary Session "things have changed since we started".

I can personally imagine why OASIS TC's get formed in this manner, it's the OASIS style, and I suppose all I can encourage is the BTP and the various ebXML team's all currently at work within OASIS - all need to have formal laisons with each other on a very frequent base or it might look a little
bit confusing later when various groups start delivering.

Thanks
-Dave

02.html), and
the first meeting was held 13 March. The MoU between OASIS and UN/CEFACT was
signed 11 May.

The BTP TC Call For Participation identified how the work of this TC relates
to that of ebXML, which Alastair Green clarified in a posting earlier today.
The MoU applied only to the future of the ebXML work, and said nothing about
the status of other OASIS or UN/CEFACT work.

> 'Conflict' might be a strong term, and I've heard how to form a
> TC but I'm not familar with the OASIS TC on-going workings, so
> perhaps someone at the OASIS management level would get involved
> here align the TC work on the OASIS side of the house ?

OASIS technical work is driven by our members; i.e. our members decide what
technical work we will do. Our technical process (see
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.shtml) allows any three of our
members to form a technical committee on any topic, even if that effort
happens to duplicate the work of other groups. We do our best to ensure
collaboration, and have a good history of getting competitive groups to work
together, but there may on ocassion be duplicate efforts. But I don't think
that this is the case with BTP.

</karl>
Karl F. Best
OASIS - Director, Technical Operations