Subject: RE: multiparty (was) Fwd: Re: message routing

This issue gets really thorny unless you keep two concepts front and center:
Any one "transaction" is between two parties, and a party's responsibilities
and capabilities are specified in the protocol in which they "agree" to
participate.

This is exactly why the UMM represents a BCP "Business Collaboration
Protocol" (multi-party exchange of messages) as a correography of individual
transactions.  Each transaction is between two parties. (indeed even the
information distribution patterns are executed between two specific parties
in any one instance)

The premis is simple, if a party to an agreement has a trggering condition
(as defined in the BCP), they will initiate a transaction.  It MUST be that
simple -> if the guards are satisfied, then execute the transaction!

The important part of this is that the responsibilities in a multi-party
protocol are specified in the agreement and its referenced BCP.  Any
additional messages are outside the context of the agreement and its
referenced BCP.

This reduces the question of "who controls a BCP / transaction" to "what are
my allowed actions at this point in the collaboration".  For, when it comes
down to it, the BCP is simply modeling and allowing efficient communication
of the business relationship.  It is the business relationship that spells
out who controls a business transaction.

I agree that working out scenarios and verifying they allow proper business
control is a good way to achieve both a reasonably capable BPSS and correct
BCPs, which allocate control in accordance with the business they model.
Control must be as simple as your ability to initiate a transaction causing
a binding business action (and associated e-business transaction) at any
specific point in the collaboration.

This is why I see a robust ability to describe guards (rules) on transitions
between transactions based on message contents (business information) as the
key enabler to effective multi-party collborations. (heck, the ability to
override specific guards in the agreement would be dandy as well!)

Thanks,
John

(Tony, I can't post to cppa yet, could you please forward.)