Subject: RE: eBTWG Proposal BPSS Revision Project 0.3 DRAFT

Bob, Marteen

I really support a task work for a fast release BPSS 1.1
As many others, we've already been working on project putting BPSS at work.
We've found some small but annoying leaks in the specification that need to
solved.
I have already sent a document about both notation and precise computation
rules for business transaction.

Concerning other languages, I also want to point how much XML is changing
the game as far modeling is concerned.
Not only XML is bringing easy structured data management but it is also
bringing easy metadata design and management to the development community.
Several years ago, one could have thought that OMG or other related
organization could have become the recognized owner of metadata definitions.
This is no more the case. Anybody can easily create it's own schema and
validate real instances against it.
This does not mean that there is not a need for a common agreement on
metadata.
But I have difficulties to see UMM as THE metamodel being the pivot and
neutral expression for collaboration language. UMM is too much grounded on
UML with a lot of extension that makes it difficult to map to a simple XML
Collaboration language (This is not just a statement; I have done it).
The folks working on executable collaboration languages start from XML
Metadata. They do not need UML. They simply ignore it (Look at XLANG, BPML,
WSDL,WSFL, ....).
Whatever opinion people may have about my thought on UMM, they can't ignore
that the XML world has its own way to metadata.

Antoine,