ebxml-ccbp-analysis message

Subject: RE: Registry object persistence; are BPs owned?

Business Process Ownership:
     I believe the Business Process Identifier Naming Scheme (BPINS),
"supports" aspects of what Jamie has described below.  The naming scheme is
described at
http://lists.ebxml.org/archives/ebxml-regrep/200101/msg00125.html.  Briefly,
the format is:
bpid:<agency>:<agency-id>:<business-process-name>$<major-version-number>.<mi
nor-version-number>
where the <agency>:<agency-id> part identifies the owner of the business
process.
     Of course, using this naming scheme assumes that everyone plays by the
rules -- that is no user can save/change a business process in the business
process registries (more than one!) using an improper <agency>:<agency-id>.

Access Control:
     I believe that a registry/repository should have a certain amount of
access control for a) accessing the registry and b) accessing content.  For
example, I would hope that a company like Commerce One would support a
business process registry at its GlobalTradingWeb.net.  This registry would
allow public access; but, would not allow the general public to see
"private" business processes that are stored in its repositories.

Futures:
     I believe overtime that there will be few private business processes
that don't have a public version (cooked up by someone else -- after all,
there are only so many reasonable ways of doing business).  The exception to
that might be copyrighted or patented processes (is it possible to patent a
collaborative business process?).

/Brian