ebxml-ccbp-analysis message

Subject: RE: Registry object persistence; are BPs owned?

A paragraph got dropped from the end of my last message to this group (1:34
pm).  Sorry.   Here it is.  JBC

>* * * The enlightened, and I hope eventually correct, view is that logically
>inevitable transaction archetypes should be uncopyrightable and
>unpatentable.   The good news is that the law conceptually provides for
>this, in such doctrines as the mathematical formula exception to copyright
>and the nonobviousness requirement of patent law.   The bad news is that
>things have been muddied up lately.  I am going to Philadelphia next week
>to moderate a panel of patent lawyers about this very issue at an ABA
>convention.  I'll let you know how it goes, if they let me live.

However, something can be a trade secret even if it is not protected by
copyright.  For example, Dave Welsh may or may not want people to know
exactly which circle of business-term-hell his drop-ship collaboration model
punts vendors into, if they miss a step.   His protection is that he lodges
his proprietary BPs into a controlled-access registry.    Jamie