Subject: [Fwd: RE: Formal Protest from XMLGlobal.]

For your information.  This item will be discussed at our teleconference 28th Dec at 03:00 Pacific Time.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: Formal Protest from XMLGlobal.
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 16:08:59 -0600
From: "Nieman, Scott" <Scott.Nieman@NorstanConsulting.com>
To: 'David RR Webber ' <Gnosis_@compuserve.com>, 'ebxml repository ' <ebxml-regrep@lists.ebxml.org>, 'Martin Bryan ' <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>, 'Klaus-Dieter Naujok ' <knaujok@home.com>

David, your protest is acknowledged.

RR will anticipate the response from the QRT, which may include your
concerns.  We must follow due process at this point, due to critical
timeframes.  this is not out for public review.

My opinion going into this was that a single canonical query syntax
(whatever the syntax) is a fundamental requirement for query
standardization, following the lead from OMG in their Query Services
specification.  Mapping various query syntaxes (Quilt, SQL 92) to this
cananical form is the most efficient means.  At this time OQL is specified
as this cananical form similar to the OMG specification.

I also believe in your viewpoint that this comparision should be documented.
Sorry to bring this up, but you were the one that committed to produce this
document in the Tokyo meeting.  RR is currently bandwidth constrained, as
are many of the other project teams.

RR would be interested in these stats, hopefully including a matrix of query
syntax capabilities and vendor product implementations.  However, tasking
the current team (who is working very hard) to deliver this documentation at
such a critical point in time, would cripple our ability to produce ANY RR
specifications on-time.  While you may not agree, I think that "on-time"
currently out weighs the immediate concern.  Perhaps the review cycle will
allow us to document your request, once we finalize EXACTLY what is needed.

Please help me out regarding the Core Component request.  Was it a
"requirements" document that was emailed directly to me, that I forwarded it
to our list?  The posting got zero replies, so I brought it up to the StC
four weeks ago.  We (RR/CC) needs to follow up with a teleconference to
either discuss this version, or perhaps a version that includes more
background information and examples.  Is this information also in the ebXML
Requirements specification?

Thank you for your concern, and I hope you are having a great holiday!
Scott