Subject: RE: Still Confused - Syntax Neutal Model/Process

-----Original Message-----
From: Betty Harvey [mailto:ebxml@eccnet.eccnet.com]
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2000 6:44 PM
To: Bob Haugen
Cc: ebxml-core@lists.oasis-open.org

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Bob Haugen wrote:

> Betty Harvey wrote:
> >Some of the messages I have read, I get the feeling that some in the
group
> >are thinking that the processing information will be embedded within the
> >XML.  After, seeing first-hand the complexity and even more important,
the
> >cost associated with of embedded processing within the data with IETM's I
> >would strongly suggest that we have processing external to the data.  I
> >would be very skeptical of embedding processes internal to the XML.
>
> Betty, is this yet another definition of process?  Do you mean
> the computer processing of messages?  (As contrasted with
> the business processes or the process of sending an order
> or any of the other meanings of process...)

To keep myself from getting more confused, I am going to call it
business logic.  Something has to happen to every piece of information
within a message, otherwise the information isn't useful.  This
logic can either be embedded within the XML or can be spawned
based on the intelligent mark-up.

I really think the business logic (processes built around the XML data)
should be separated. I can possibly see a separate XML DTD/Schema that can
handle the business logic and be linked to the information via XLink.

Betty