Subject: RE: POs considered harmful for dependent demands

Bob,

I totally and strongly agree with your comments below. My understanding of
dependent demands relates to what my industry (the medical products supply
chain) is trying to accomplish with its Efficient Healthcare Consumer
Response Initiative. In this Initiative our vision is to capture the use of
a medical product at the point of health care delivery (i.e., at the patient
bedside in a hospital or in a doc's office or clinic, etc.) and then to have
the product usage/consumption event ripple back through the entire supply
chain to the distributor and then to the manufacturer for a seamless (and
near realtime) replenishment of the product used. This vision of course,
doesn't need a PO (and in fact a PO would negatively impact the process),
nor does it need an invoice, since the product would be paid for at the time
it's used based on pre-determined contract prices.

Rachel Foerster