Subject: RE: XML Implementation spec

Bob:

It's really a combination of object subclassing and the way procesing
systems deal with this kind of object relationship. Most XML-based
processing systems manifest each element in an XML schema as a class. This
is how we process XML in Commerce One's products, and it's how BizTalk
processes XDR schemas, typically. The Party example fits xCBL well (C1's
business library) since we have Party - it's own class - as well as
BuyerParty - a subclass of Party - and SupplierParty - also a subclass of
Party. There is a processor that takes the XML business document and
instantiates a set of element classes according to what is in the received
document.

If I need to write code that will process either BuyerParty or SupplierParty
(a single set of code) I use the methods that exist in the superclass Party,
which are get() and set() calls for the values in the Party structure. Since
both BuyerParty and SupplierParty inherit these calls from a common
superclass, Party, I can process either BuyerParty or SupplierParty with the
same code. This is a very common way of processing XML in e-commerce systems
these days, for systems that support schemas (rather than DTDs).

Further, our generic validation engine - our XML schema parser - will allow
either BuyerParty or SupplierParty to be substituted in any content model
that has a requirement for an element of type Party, because we know that
the subclass has all the required fields of its superclass.

This is very much modelled after Java and its inheritance mechanisms.

Hope this helps to clarify!

Cheers,

Arofan Gregory