Subject: RE: Units of Measure

Here's a dumb answer:

From an implementation perspective, there is quite a likelihood of an
enterprise requiring some form of human "approval" for certain documents,
let's say for example, a PO with an order worth a billion dollars. In this
case the document may be in a certain holding area, awaiting human approval
before it is sent or received for further processing.
In any case, if it isn't costing much, ensuring human (I think it means a
gender-independant homosapien), readability is always a good thing to have.
And by reading a document, I would like the pleasure of understanding it as
well, not so in the raw X12 or EDIFACT cases that you mention.

Regards,
Sohaib.J.Kidwai
Architect
EComXML Inc.
Phone: (215)321-5569 (x 104)
Reply To: sohaibk@ecomxml.com
http://www.ecomxml.com

Hi.

Dumb question of the day:  Have we defined the "human" in "human-readable"?
Who is going to read raw XML?  What category of human?  In the world of X12
and EDIFACT, legacy languages for EDI, the end-user rarely reads the raw X12
or EDIFACT.  The technical support person for EDI may have occassion to read
the raw X12 or EDIFACT when troubleshooting.  Both X12 and EDIFACT are based
on "English", although it's not clear if it's American English, British
English, or some other kind of English.  Presumably, one of the
qualifications to become a technical support person is the ability to read
the raw file and interpret it.

What will happen in the XML world?  If the goal is machine-to-machine
communication, you've got to codify.  William has adequately pointed out the
pitfalls of free-form text.  For machine-to-person, will there not be tools
available that can take an XML containing codes and tags, point to a
dictionary, and do the interpretation for the person in that equation?

Maybe this is another dumb question, but why be insistent that XML be human
readable?  Doesn't that hark back to when XML was new and the invisioned
usage was primarily web publishing?  Although some may not believe it, I'm
human (;-)).  I can read X12 and EDIFACT.  Can we not conclude from this
that X12 and EDIFACT are human-readable?  Can we not conclude that if we use
tags and codes in XML, it will still be human readable?  Again, who is the
"human" in "human-readable?"

Kind regards,
Steph.

HEWLETT-PACKARD
SUPPLY CHAIN INFORMATION SOLUTIONS
SUPPLY CHAIN ELECTRONIC BUSINESS TEAM
Stephenie Cooper, M/S 4L-5
eBusiness Development Engineer
1501 Page Mill Rd. Palo Alto, CA 94304 US
Tel. 1/650.857-6970,  Fax. 1/650.857.5544
Internet: stephenie_cooper@hp.com
Websites:  www.hp.com, www.hpebiz.com
Member, Board of Directors
Electronics Industry Data Exchange Assoc.
www.eidx.org