Subject: RE: Units of Measure

Just as there are people who  receive EDI information over a Fax and have
to rekey it into their systems,
there will be people receiving PO's and such in XML as  HTML files,  who
won't know how to translate them  into an Excel
or Access file.

I think there ought to be a simple, free  translater available someplace on
the Web. Any recomendations?

John Connolly
Mexico City

                    "COOPER,STEPHEN
                    IE                     To:     ebXML Core <ebxml-core@lists.ebxml.org>
                    (HP-PaloAlto,ex        cc:
                    1)"                    Subject:     RE: Units of Measure
                    <stephenie_coop
                    er@hp.com>

                    10/07/00 04:48
                    p.m.

The struggle I have with Arofan's suggestion that there's a category "(2)
Small- and Medium-sized enterprises' businesspeople, who might not have the
benefit of translation software, and merely look at the business messages
in
a browser or other simple presentation format" is that I and some of my
colleagues are struggling to think of a realistic, real life scenario where
these folks would actually need to read raw XML.  The key word here is
"realistic".

Does someone have some examples of realistic situations in which a business
person is going to have a need to read raw XML without benefit of something
that transforms it for viewing?  When would raw XML be the only choice
presented?  Who would do the presenting?  Would you ever have someone who
is
creating raw XML and presenting it someone who must read the raw XML?

Right now, if I can present something to a partner either via a phone call,
fax of a printout, or raw XML with perfectly readable text used throughout,
that partner is likely to tell me "forget the XML - call me or send me the
fax."  I have yet to experience the situation of someone presenting me with
raw XML as the only choice.

I'm sure most folks agree that we don't want an XML that's as abstract as
X12 and EDIFACT.  I certainly don't have the ultimate answer.  However, I
do
have a gut feeling that machines are going to do most of the reading, so if
we have make a tradeoff I'd advocate a solution that is slightly less
person-friendly in order to make it less likely to be misinterpreted by a
machine.