Subject: RE: Brave new world

Dear Margaret Pemberton:

I think that you need to learn more about XML to understand it's application
in promoting the kind of increased interoperability that has plagued the EDI
world.

Because XML is capable of encoding object-relationships, it can allow for
variation-tolerant applications within messages that are related by being
subclasses of a single parent (or set of single parents, as this functions
at the level of any component of a document, as well as at the level of the
document as a whole). This is radically different than EDI - Commerce One,
my employer, has built technology based on this kind of cutting-edge XML
technology.

If you are interested in learning about the extension and polymorphic
capabilities of schema-based XML, then you might want to go to: www.xCBL.org
and do the "SOX Tutorial". This will take a few hours (2-3) but will
definitely help you understand the way in which ebXML is not "just another
standard" - we anticipate that xCBL will become an instantiation of ebXML
core components, and leverage exactly these features of XML Schema to
promote interoperability that is simply impossible with flat files.

This in no way removes the need to promote standardization, but it does make
that very significant problem somewhat less daunting. The tools we have to
enable back offices to communicate around a core set of standard semantics
are simply getting better.

Cheers,

Arofan Gregory