Subject: RE: Brave new world

William:

To you first point about verbosity, I think there are cases where only
sending deltas may be appropriate, but that for ease of processing -
especially when little can be known about your trading partners, and the
retrieval systems for earlier documents that you would like to assume have
been archived (as in the case of an SME, where the archive might be a
print-out of a web form or an XML file saved on somebodies' C-drive) - it is
generally a good idea to repeat information. XSLT *can* do code translation
- it's just not a good way to do it, in my opinion. I think it assumes that
- again, particularly smaller TPs - would be able to manage a local store of
translation tables from codes, which wouldn't be a reality *unless* we
provide a really-easy-to-use reference mechanism, presumably accesible
through a simple URL over the internet for any "standard" code lists.
Generally, however, its easiest to send the whole thing, with spelled-out
tags.

This places the burden on using smaller tags and designing information so
that its not redundant. I've played with these approaches with xCBL
test-beds (during our stress tests) and we could get good performance when
we optimized the documents (default values specified on the header, with
only exceptions to defaults in the line items, etc.)

As to your second point, I think we are looking at a new kind of
"standardization" that *does* make back-office use of semantic constructs
easier: context. If you have a processable set of context rules, explaining
each diff from the standard data sets, and giving the utility of the change,
then "dumb" automated systems can be built to understand the relevant
behaviours to apply to these unexpected bits of data. One of the context
axis that we've talked about is (for want of a better word) "teleology" or
"Purpose", and another is "Processing Function". With this kind of
information, you could compare *your* reuse of standard infomation
components with someone else's to determine why they have extended the
things they did, and what to do with them (drop them on the floor, return
them as-is, or send them on a workflow for approval, etc.)

This is an aspect of ebXML Core Components design that is not specified in
W3C Schema (although local re-naming of types is, which basically supports
polymorphism), because it is the real new material coming from ebXML. I
think we need to look more at these applications, and try to come up with
sufficient context hooks to support this kind of high-end application.

This is the big thing that sets us apart from a group producing "just
another set of mesages".

Cheers,

Arofan Gregory