Subject: Re: Brave new world, OR tagging based on EDIFACT names

John Motley asked "Shouldn't data types be expressed in the DTD or
schema? For example the data element 'Estimate Arrival' has a data type
of DATE, or probably more appropriately DATETIME."

That was the point of my original note in
http://lists.ebxml.org/archives/ebxml-core/200007/msg00053.html.  Using
XML Schema, <EstimatedArrivalDate> would indeed benefit by being
constrained to an ISO 8601 Date, or Date and Time.   The latest XML
Schema Part 2: Datatypes doesn't seem to have a data type DateTime
anymore, if it ever did;  instead, I guess "timeInstant" would be used.
DTDs, on the other hand,  have no way of constraining a data element to
be ISO 8601 conformant.

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Memorial Pkwy.