Subject: Re: Core Component Analysis - SWIFT's Comments

Bob Miller has submitted his comments re: the Datatype discussion
directly to Karsten.  He's asked that these comments not be exposed
until it was appropriate to do so, because he specifically did not want
them to become a show stopper in getting the document to public review.

Whatever documents is Bob referring to? The only way Bob's comments
could be a show-stopper is if these "documents" are a mess in some
respect.  This is a good thing - even if it holds up "public review."
What's "public review" anyway? Is this stuff advertised in InfoWorld?

Betty Harvey went to the trouble to compile the list of concrete XML
schema datatypes.  So I naturally assumed that they were an open topic
of discussion.  She even said "Feel free to throw darts."

This is supposed to an open consensus-based standards development
process.  So I'm somewhat disappointed to hear that Core Component
issues continue to be hammered out in private e-mails.  I'm not the
first to observe this tendency:

   "Core Components must be a closed process run by a handful of
   EDI companies.  They must be keeping their meetings secret to
   make sure ebXML vocabularies are faithful reproductions of EDI,
   and that nobody will be able to implement ebXML without
   software and services from EDI providers...."
   Todd F. Boyle (31 May 2000)

   "..there seem to be work being progressed via private
   distribution lists instead of the public available lists.  This
   has created the perception that ebXML is not as open as it claims
   to be."
   Klaus-Dieter Naujok (07 Jun 2000)

   "We simply must bring the working products of CC out of the closet
   and expose them to fuller examination. By not doing so, there is a
   cloud of secrecy descending on the work of CC that  will have a
   negative impact rather than positive."
   Rachel Foerster (28 Jul 2000)

   "One of the biggest [complaints] about our work is that it is being
   [kept] in private small groups. The "semi-open" approach suggested
   is not as open as we claim our process is. Who don't we want to see
   our document. What are we afraid of? I am not afraid of facing the
   comments. Better answer them now than later."
   Klaus-Dieter Naujok (30 Oct 2000)

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Memorial Pkwy.