Subject: Re: Core Component Analysis - SWIFT's Comments

Just a précision about BSR.
In the BSR there is a unique identifier but several names (a preferred name
for each language present in the BSR, and if needed others names used as
synonyms of the preferrred names).
Best regards

Alain Chapdaniel
alain.chapdaniel@actimum.com
ACTIMUM
http://www.actimum.com
----- Original Message -----
From: CANON Stephane <stephane.canon@swift.com>
To: Philip Goatly <philip.goatly@bolero.net>
Cc: William J. Kammerer <wkammerer@foresightcorp.com>; ebXML Core
<ebxml-core@lists.ebxml.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2001 3:59 PM

> I don't think the issue is english/american tags or something else. The
problem of using different languages should be fixed through
> the UID of an element.
> The problem is first (I think) how to identify an XML element. Edifact was
said to be "semantically dispersed". The semantic of a
> data element depends on the meaning of the Segment name, the segment
qualifier, the element name, the element qualifier, ... BSR is
> an initiative leading to give a unique name to an element.
> Jacques's was commenting about the reintroduction of qualifiers in ebXML
CoreComponents.

> We have different implementation proposals:
>
> ebXML Core Component:
>
> <Party> ...
>  <Date/Time>
>    <Date>20010101</Date>
> <Time>102300</Time>
> <PurposeCode>birthdate<PurposeCode>
>  </Date/Time>
>  <Date/Time>
>    <Date>20800202</Date>
> <Time>102300</Time>
> <PurposeCode>DeathDate<PurposeCode>
>  </Date/Time>
> </Party>
>
> SWIFT:
>
>    <Party> ...
>       <BirthDate>
>          <Date>20010101</Date>
>          <Time>102300</Time>
>       </BirthDate>
>       <DeathDate>
>          <Date>20800202</Date>
>       </DeathDate>
>    </Party
>
> another one:
>
>    <Birth>
>       <Date>1922-10-16</Date>
>    </Birth>
>
> The BSR proposal would be something like that:
>
> <PartyBirthDate>1922-10-12</PartyBirthDate>
>
> Let's try to determine what is the best representation (we shouldn't spend
too much time discussing the arrogance of the englisk
> speaking world: this is a fact, not an item for discussion).
> We need comments from the people involved with the BSR intiative, from the
XML experts and from people working on translation tools.

> Stephane
>
> Philip Goatly wrote:
>
> > William - thanks for your comments.
> >
> > FYI -I have seen in places - not so far from here :-) tag names of 50-60
> > characters i.e with end tag 100-120 chars
> > and a data 'payload' of  10 chars. - I know bandwidth is larger now but
> >  f only 'techies' need to look at the tags why not used coded tags - a
lot
> > of us can still read EDIFACT messages
> >
> > Phil Goatly

BSR