Subject: RE: English Language Tags

Hello David.
Like Sandy, this is my last word on this, promise! You seem to suggest that
creating UIDs are out-of-scope for the W3C, and that is why they haven't
done it. I am suggesting to the contrary that they already created a set of
mechanisms to achieve what you want -- XML Namespaces and XML Schemas. I
can easily decorate an <xsd:element> with my own meta-data about the
element-type and, as I noted for the Data Consortium Namespace, that
information can be reflected on the individual instances of the
element-type -- the DCN does it with the 'label' attribute on what are
called "attribute-elements", and relies on an RDFS dictionary to provide
the meta-definition of what are called "resource-elements." Anyway, since I
am interested in a high level of conformance between the DCN and ebXML, I
wish to understand as best I can why UIDs and GUIDs -- a technique I've not
seen embraced by the W3C -- is a solution to a problem that the W3C, I
thought, adequately addressed with XML Namespaces.
Regards,
John