Subject: RE: SMEs : was RE: Party XML Schema Defintions

Hi.

From a Gartner Group report, "The Net-Liberated Organization: A Philosophy
for Post-E-Business Survival", September 2000:

"Gartner believes that the changes to the international economy caused by
e-business will be so pronounced that the term "e-business" will disappear
between 2006 and 2008, as e-business operations and models become the norm
for all businesses (0.8 probability)."

This means that e-business will be ingrained into all business models,
software ... and hardware!  The SME will pick up one piece of software that
does the initial setup of the PC (or MAC or workstation or whatever) and
network connection, and from then on, that SME will do everything from the
desktop, with interfaces that are so friendly that "Help" functions are
virtually obsolete.

If you've been around long enough, you remember when we had to keep track of
what e-mail software the colleague was using (not to mention keeping track
of who did and who did not have e-mail), as well as knowing whether they
were using X.400 or the internet or other connection (usually proprietary),
who could and who could not receive attachments and in what formats, file
size limits, and so on.  Do you do much thinking about that anymore?  I
don't even worry now about who is on Windows and who is on MAC - the
attachment comes to me in the format that my PC can understand - it's part
of the service.

B2B commerce will be like that in 5-6 years.  The desktop will handle
discovery, ordering, tracking, planning ... anything ... without requiring
any business user to have any technical expertise, and without requiring an
SME to have inhouse technical support.  Not only that, but large companies
will will have been able to significantly reduce the number technical
resources required to do business.

ebXML's goal should be to help make that happen.

Regards,
Steph.