Subject: RE: ebXML Entity Classes - Resend

Chris,

<sentence>
  <subject/>
  <verb>thank</verb>
  <object>you</object>
</sentence>

Or put another way, <thank/><you/>

I prefer the second XML representation of 'thank you' to the first, though I
do appreciate the flexibility inherit in the first representation.  Each
form has advantages and disadvantages, which lead to the selection of one
over another in certain applications.

I do not envision so compressed a vocabulary as you provide in your
statistics example.  I have observed that some early attempts to use XML to
convey business documents tried the limited vocabulary approach only to
abandon it in later attempts.  RosettaNet is one such example. It came to me
as no surprise that the restricted vocabulary approach was abandoned.  In my
EDI application experience, the scales are tilted to a rich vocabulary as
the more workable choice.

Most programming languages implement a compressed vocabulary.  They
generally address a broad range of needs which emanate from a few general
requirements.

Business transactions tend to address very specific needs across a broad
range of end user and context requirements.

I believe I prefer "<thank/><you/>" to the other construct because
conversation addresses specific needs across a wide context range.  Of
course, it could just be that I'm not fond of typing!

Cheers,
        Bob