Subject: RE: The role of context in the re-usability of Core Components an dBusiness Processes - OR Say What???

Cheers,

Arofan

-----Original Message-----
From: Miller, Robert (GXS) [mailto:Robert.Miller@gxs.ge.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2001 11:38 AM
To: Gregory, Arofan; Miller, Robert (GXS); Martin Bryan; William J.
Kammerer; ebXML Core
Subject: RE: The role of context in the re-usability of Core Components
an d Business Processes - OR Say What???

Arofan,

As I said, I support the capture of context-specific information.

The document upon which this thread is based is:

"ebXML specification for the application of XML based assembly and context
rules"

Maybe some among us read that as:

"ebXML specification for the application of 'XML based assembly' and
'context rules'"

It appears that others among us read that as:

"ebXML specification for the application of XML based 'assembly and context
rules'"

Whatever, this document goes beyond just capturing context specific
information. It does indeed provide 'assembly and context rules'.
The CC spreadsheet conveys certain associations among the entities that
comprise a core component.  The 'rules' document provides another
representation for expressing these relationships.  Neither of these
documents is founded upon a UML model.  Once proper foundations are laid for
the representation of the semantics of the entities used to convey business
data, and for the construction of business documents from this information,
there may be value in addressing XML based assembly.  Until then, I find
this document unsuitable for publication.

I do not dispute that the document exposes some of the information
requirements of an XML based assembly system.  It simply puts the cart
before the horse, the design before the analysis.

Cheers,
        Bob