Subject: RE: Jon Bosak's suggestion that xCBL be adopted as the ebXMLBusinessDocument framework

Todd

I absolutely agree that there is an enormous difference between trying to
implement directly from the EDI published standards and implementing from a
business community guideline.

Arguably the biggest mistake that EDI standardisation ever made was not to
include the definition and harmonisation of implementation material within
its charter from day one. This is a crucial element that ebXML is including
in all its CC and BP work due to the unique combination of real business
expertise contributing to the work. As this work continues on into the
future it is key that syntax implementations are based on what is actually
used and also that all the required semantic definitions are as globally
well defined and harmonised as can possibly be achieved.

This was certainly what we tried to do from the best information available
at the time when constructing the 30 version of the xCBL library.

Sue

Sue Probert
Director, Document Engineering
Commerce One