Subject: RE: Globally Agreed Definitions for Individual Semantics

Bob,
You are right, and the DCN accommodates three scenarios relating to the
facility you speak of.

<Document name='TransportContract'>
    <identifier keyword='AirWaybillNumber'>
	here is the transport contract reference number
    </identifier>
</Document>

The 'keyword' facet (a facet being an attribute on a resource-attribute
element) is a qualified-name (qname) that points to a less ambiguous
specification of the information represented by the identifier element. In
this case, the 'AirWaybillNumber' is defined in the datastream's default
dictionary, i.e., that is where the "rich metadata definition" you mentioned
is located. Should a publisher have their own dictionary and or their own
(expanded) definition for the term, then the name can be qualified by a
namespace prefix previously mapped to a URI for their own custom dictionary.

<Document name='TransportContract'>
    <identifier keyword='fedex:AirWaybillNumber'>
	here is the transport contract reference number
    </identifier>
</Document>

The third version uses the 'identifier' facet on the <identifier> element.
This facet allows a publisher to map the element to a column in their
database, for instance.

<Document name='TransportContract'>
    <identifier keyword='AirWaybillNumber' identifier='my:billnbr'>
	here is the transport contract reference number
    </identifier>
</Document>

While not semantically as rich as the other approach, it does provide the
capability for TPA-defined information to be passed in its appropriate
contexts. I also must add that it is certainly ok to have multiple
identifiers associated with the resource!

Hope that helps, and thanks for noting that generalizations can be useless
if inappropriately applied to a solution. I would add that generalizations
fail splendidly if and only if no allowance is made for the specification of
more precise information. The DCN is architected throughout to provide for
more specialized terms than those in the base set of resource-types. That's
the nature of OO design, and one of the reasons I chose RDF Schemas for
representation of metadata information.

John