Subject: RE: Just what is Interoperability?

In the DCN, semantic equivalence may be indicated directly by an XML element
in an instance document, and it may be indicated in the RDF Schema-based
dictionary pointed at by XML elements in the instance document. If in the
dictionary, and not in the instance document, then the dictionary's value
can be assumed as the default by choice of one's software or of a software's
user.

In the DCN, values for datatypes such as date are wrapped by an XML element
representing a first-class resource, called <Entry>. Below, an <identifier>
element is used to provide the raw semantic mapping I think you want. The
'range' attribute on the <instant> element is used to indicate a range of
values applicable to the instant, in this case you can infer that the date
applicable to the ship-date is up-to and including 05/01/01.

<Entry xsi:type='Time' name='RequestedShipDate'>
   <identifier identifier='unedifact:de2005'/>
   <instant range='/2001-05-01'/>
</Entry>

A second, perhaps more explicit and less error-prone, representation is
equally possible, one that states the role(s) being fulfilled by the
time-entry. Note that a 'range' attribute is unnecessary on the <instant>
element, just use the attribute for a scalar value, ie. 'value'.

<Entry xsi:type='Time' name='RequestedShipDate'>
   <identifier identifier='unedifact:de2005'/>
   <instant value='2001-05-01'/>
   <list xsi:type='roles' name='entryRoles'>
     <Role xsi:type='EntryRole' name='Deadline'/>
   </list>
</Entry>

To indicate a default mapping within the DCN Dictionary is as trivial as it
is in the instance document. Below is the actual code for this entry in the
dictionary (v110). I have now inserted the same <identifier> element used
above, albeit qualified by the dcn namespace prefix.

<rdfs:Class rdf:ID="RequestedShipDate">
	<rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="#Time"/>
	<rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="#Entry"/>
	<rdfs:label xml:lang="en">requested ship date</rdfs:label>
	<rdfs:comment xml:lang="en">