Subject: Re: Problem statement regarding the ebXML Core Components model

John McClure wrote

> I need to reread his reasoning about roles, though. I came away thinking
> that Roles and named relationships were the same thing in his mind.

They are not, but not for the reasons DCN gives. My paper was a deliberate
simplification of the real requirements designed to ensure understanding of
the problem, not understanding of a complete solution.

There is a difference between semantic relationships (as defined by items
sharing a UUID) and semantic roles (as defined by the application of a
semantic component in a specific context). Furhtermore there needs to be a
distinction between application roles and application contexts. (The same
set of information may serve a different role in an Order from that in which
it serves in a Delivery Note, but have the same relative context within each
document/application.)

Martin Bryan