Subject: RE: Dear Prudence: Do I have to pay for codes??

Regarding the controversy on ebxml Core components, whether
the public should be required to pay for things like lists
of barcode numbers, medical codes, and metadata, I hesitate
to post without my asbestos suit!  Here are fragments,
http://lists.ebxml.org/archives/ebxml-core/200104/msg00107.html
http://lists.ebxml.org/archives/ebxml-core/200104/msg00101.html

But there have already been some sporadic comments that
some reg rep functions might be better performed by
unregulated peer to peer applications, that might
perform very well, reduce network traffic, scale better,
and be impossible for vendors to capture to collect rents
and snoop private information.

Once these P2P applications start happening, they would tend
to grow and mutate quickly.  I think it would be a good
thing for the whole business community, and for civilization.

Todd