Subject: RE: What do people really expect from ebXML?

Mary Kay

-----Original Message-----
From: Philip Goatly [mailto:philip.goatly@bolero.net]
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2001 10:27 AM
To: William J. Kammerer; ebXML Core

William,

       What a good question.

 " In short, why is it expected that the standards and products built upon
> the CC specs will result in anything better than what we have today with
> EDI?"

 As far as I see it the EDI data structure is a pyramid, with Data Elements
at the bottom, Composite Data Elements at the next level, Segments at the
next level, Segment Groups at the next level and 'Messages/Documents' at the
top of the pyramid.

From a data modelling point of view there are discontinuities in this
structure, particularly at the level of the document group, since Group1 in
an Invoice message is not the same as Group1 in the Purchase order message.
That is to say there is very little, if any business meaning, in the
Grouping at 'message/document' level.

Unless ebXML, or any other standard is able to model from the top of the
pyramid 'downwards' to the Data Element level, or it's equivalent, then the
standard will always have something lacking in the data model.

Naturally there needs to be a process model to detail the data flows within
the business model but that is another matter.

Cheers, Phil