Subject: Re: What do people really expect from ebXML? - the Vision \"thing\"

Andreas,

I respect your point of view, but we can't continue to live in the past
forever !

Edifact and X.12 were designed in the days when all we had was 75 or 300
baud modems. Everything was crunched down so that it could be transmitted in
the shortest possible time.

As I remember, to transmit an EDI message of 1000 characters at 300 baud
used to take (1000 / 37.5cps) = 26 2/3 seconds. Those days are long since
gone, and people need better systems and better messages.

The funny thing is, that whilst it may only take an led blink to transfer
the same data now, you still end up with the same data. EDI now, therefore
does no more than it did in the good old days of 2400 baud.

Moving on, The following statement is true:

> I think we have to distinguish the semantic content of EDI (especially
> UN/EDIFACT) and the syntactical implementations. It seems to be true, that
> the implementation of EDI is very difficult (cost intensiv and complex)
for
> SME\'s. But it seems to be also true, that there is yet no alternative for
> exchanging mass data in an B2B environment.

The fact is that in a decade or so, SMEs probably won't need an Accounting
system on a PC. It will be in a PDA, a mobile phone or maybe a smartcard.

Rather than transferring a Receipt on a piece of paper, to be filed in a
wallet, or lost. They will be transferred directly into your PDA, simply by
placing it on a transfer pad at the retail store.

The receipt will go directly into the Accounting system as it exists on the
PDA.

In the next generation of electronic commerce, there'll be no visible wires,
no modems, no integration, no cost intensiv and no complex.

Need to check your account balance to see how much money you have in your
account, press the button on your PDA.

There's no need for business it to be more complex than this.

The opportunity for developing nations having this technology is vast, just
as are the rewards for those who will work hard to produce it.

I'm saying that it's time to retire EDI, just as was done with Steam
Engines, and re-equip with something less poluting, faster and more
convenient.

Whatever the ol'timers may say, ebXML needs to be a set of new transactions
for a completely new world.

David Lyon