Subject: RE: What do people really expect from ebXML? - Is CC really a set ofLegos?

I just got through checking out my daughter's room to see if she picked
it up, and something in it reminded me of Eija Aspelin's and Betty
Harvey's analogy of reusable core components to Lego blocks.  Well,
specifically, it *was* Lego blocks.  All over the floor.  In shoe boxes.
On the bed.

Unless you have a tremendous amount of creativity or time, it's nigh
impossible to come up with something interesting or useful (well,
anything my little precious makes is interesting and useful) from these
"core components."  The cute little bunny pushing the vegetable cart she
got for Easter has disintegrated into individual Legos - and without the
picture on the original package, never to be recombined again.  Entropy
in action.

Folks will not easily be able to design messages from core components
without the use of templates or patterns.  Most professional programmers
have a really tough time taking objects and making them work together in
a program, so I suspect building intelligible messages from the ground
up using core components will be a formidable task.

So be prepared to devise the scaffolding (i.e., message structure) for
core components.  In other words, I predict we're going to end up with
POs, Invoices, Shipment Advices, etc.

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Pkwy.