Subject: RE: What do people really expect from ebXML?

Alan Kotok said:
> Martin,
> What a great idea.  Many other potential applications come to mind as
> well:  real estate, health care, law enforcement.  Best regards.
>
> > > It gives digital cameras to Third-World artisans

The need for transaction-related data inside digital content
is pervasive.  Digital bearer cash failed, on admin inefficiency.
If they stored some basic party and settlement data in the digital
cash, the world would be a differnt place.  Likewise, music and
streaming content.  Why don't they just put a billing structure
inside the content, so the carrier and ISP and peer-to-peer
caches can add their bills (micropayments) to the content?

The recipient can tear them out and store them, and then,
when a bunch of bills are due they can offload them to a
website someplace, using a credit card etc.  If they don't
pay their freakin' bills, cut them off.  This does not require
a huge leap in security, either.  Who is going to steal your
liabilities?  If a crook adds his bill to the stack, they
will never know whether the money will arrive, or a cop.

My belief is the single most important need is a simple
flat row approach, serving as an index.  This accommodates
every type of transaction that can be handled by a GL.
The reason this GL row approach is #1 requirement is to
facilitate aggregation of large numbers of small amounts,
to settlement and fulfilment and other destinations. You
cannot stack up orders, invoices, payments, receivables in
unconstrained diversity in the record layouts, if you expect
the router and devices to handle transactions FAST.

Flat lists can be sorted and processed everywhich way.
Every row must have dateTime, amount, partyA, partyB. You
can still put diverse business objects on each row.  But
without the basic row or index, you cannot efficiently
aggregate and offload the stacks of information.  You
cannot slice/dice the data to support micropayments, or
book settlement of AR/AP. Here read this.  (loads slowly.)
http://tipster.weblogs.com/discuss/msgReader$314?mode=day

Anybody, tell me if this kind of message is not welcome on
the list.

TOdd

Alan Kotok:
> Martin,
>
> What a great idea.  Many other potential applications come to mind as
> well:  real estate, health care, law enforcement.  Best regards.
>
> At 08:19 AM 4/24/01 +0100, Martin Bryan wrote:
> >Alan
> >
> > > It gives digital cameras to Third-World artisans
> > > and asks them to send the images of their wares to PeopLink,
> > > which posts the images on the group's Web site to help resell
> > > the items.  They also auction the items on E-Bay.
> >
> > > The CTO of the organization is interested in ebXML for
> > > setting up a more sophisticated cataloging service for the
> > > artisans.  EbXML messages would support many of the logistics
> > > and back-office functions, which would help the group handle
> > > a much larger number of  artisan clients and catalog customers.
>
> >For your information a European research project is currently
> >developing a digital camera with a built-in mobile phone for
> >instant transmission of the data. Now if we could add cataloguing
> >information to the image using MPEG-7 and transmit this as part of
> >an ebXML message ....
> >
> >Martin Bryan

Todd Boyle CPA
Kirkland WA

Let's get back to basics...  Can we, at least, reconcile the AR/AP?

------PARTY A's BOOKS----     common   -----PARTY B's BOOKS -------
<bla>                                                         <bla>
<bla>                                                         <bla>

intercompanySettlement.ppt