Subject: Re: Why isn't Core Components an ebXML Specification?

Mr. Boyle,

Your speculations have no basis in fact.  May I suggest that you may
find a bit more constructive dialogue if you listen more and talk less?
You could have gotten the same information that Tim provided in a
previous reply without making so many speculations.  I think many may
be, like me, becoming tempted to delete your postings without reading.
I will, however, attempt to fill in the blanks in what Tim previously
posted.  See below:

Todd Boyle wrote:

> Why are the Core Components technologies called "Reports"?
> There is not a single piece of the entire Core Components
> work products listed in the "Specifications".
> http://www.ebxml.org/specs/index.htm
>
> The press release is:
> http://www.ebxml.org/news/pr_20010514.htm

See Tim McGrath's previous posting.

> Was this a problem of incompleteness and quality,

More a problem that the 18 month clock ran out and the Executive
Committee was not interested in extending it for any reason.

> or did the
> governing executives OASIS and UN/CEFACT see a systematic problem
> or flaw in the whole approach?

No.   Officially, the governing executives had no control over technical
direction.

> Is there a better, competing technology?

No, I believe the CC team did not feel that there was.

> Was the competing school of thought based on emerging technologies,
> or based on backward compatibility issues?

Not applicable.

> What are the key
> factors that prevented any consensus to approve Core Components
> as a specification ?

The clock ran out.  This was an ambitious effort at an original
contribution, and there simply wasn't enough time to complete it.  There
were also distractions due to internal politics and reorganization that
tended to impede productivity at certain times.

> Language or national differences?

Not to my knowledge.

> Were
> dependencies on particular software vendors discovered in the spec?

Not to my knowledge.

Michael C. Rawlins, Rawlins EC Consulting
www.rawlinsecconsulting.com