Subject: RE: FW: Date/Time (WAS: Re: To get things started... Data Format s)

Hello.

Aye, y'aye y'aye.  Why is this such a problem that it's not solved after 18+
months of effort?

Air traffic control long ago realized that using localised lingo was not
going to work.  People's lives were at stake.  So English was chosen as the
international language, semantics were agreed upon, phrases were agreed upon
(mostly based on American English).  Pilots in all countries are required to
learn and use this English.  Even a plane flying from Neiafu, Tonga to
Nuku'alofo, Tonga is required to communicate with air traffic control in
English.

Okay, so lives are not at stake in B2B (or are they)?  There's a nice
summary of ISO 8601 at http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html.

It says, for example:

	Date
	The international standard date notation is

	YYYY-MM-DD

It also says:

	The hyphens can be omitted if compactness of the representation is
more important
	than human readability, for example as in

	19950204

Works for me.

	Time of Day
	The international standard notation for the time of day is

	hh:mm:ss

Hey, that works, too.

I'm content to let solution providers deal with localisation.

My base of SME suppliers using our web solution, who are from U.S., U.K.,
France, China, Singapore, Mexico, etc. have been able to adjust quite
nicely.  We've never had parts shipped on the wrong date because of the date
representation.

Regards,
Steph.
>^,,^<    >^,,^<     >^,,^<     >^,,^<
Stephenie R. Cooper
eBusiness Development Engineer
Supply Chain Information Technology
Hewlett-Packard Company
1501 Page Mill Rd. M/S 4L-5
Palo Alto, CA 94304
(650) 857-6970
mailto:stephenie_cooper@hp.com
www.hp.com

Standards Convergence Manager
RosettaNet
www.rosettanet.org
mailto:stephenie.cooper@rosettanet.org

Member, Board of Directors
Electronics Industry Data Exchange Association (EIDX)
www.eidx.org