Subject: Re: To get things started.... Data formats

Todd, all,

> That is a lot of work ---and I will do it---as soon as these three vendors
> give me permission to post parts of their docs.

It's good see that you are taking on the weight of the world, old Atlas...
but other people may have be able to put in valuable input also

> My recommendation will be that these SME XML's must converge a lot of
> things.  For example here are three date formats and address formats used
by the three companies.

> IntAcct
>      <datecreated>
>         <year>2000</year>
>         <month>8</month>
>         <day>18</day>
>     </datecreated>

This is such a cumbersome mechanism. Both to code, as well as for the
business user to understand.

Here in Australia we've been using an approach which simplifies this to:

 datecreated@="18-July-2000"

It's much easier to parse, and is far less prone to error than the first
example.

All of the datatypes get their own denominator, for example:

 String fields,       terminated with "&",    eg Address&="23 River Rock
Road"
 Currency fields,  terminated with "$",     eg Amount$=356.24
 Boolean fields,    terminated with "?"      eg Receipt_Required?=True
 Date fields,         terminated with "@"    eg
Shipping_Date@="28-October-2001"
 Integer fields,      terminated with "#",    eg Quantity_Required#=3

Fields are then built in blocks:

<?ebxml Document, version#=1.0, encoding&="UTF-8">
<!DOCTYPE "Purchase Order">
<Purchasor Details>
  Company_Name&="Hotwire Business Systems"
  Address_Line_1&="38^/332 Handford Road"
  Address_Line_2&=""
  Suburb_City&="Taigum"
  Region_State&="QLD"
  Postcode_ZIP&="4018"
  Country&="Australia"
  Telephone&=""
  Fax&=""
  Contact&="David Lyon"
</Purchasor Details>
<Vendor Details>
  Company_Name&="Backpackers by the Beach"
  Company_Address&="^m"
</Vendor Details>
<Delivery Details>
  Delivery_Mode&=""
  Delivery_Date@=20-March-2001
  Delivery_Address&=""
  Delivery_Instructions&=""
</Delivery Details>
<Order Item List>
  <Order Item>
    Code&="290"
    Name&="Female Dormitory Bed"
    Description&="Arriving Mon 21-05-01 2:12:51 PM, Departing Tue 22-05-01."
    Quantity#=2
    Rate$=90
    Tax$=0
    Amount$=180