Subject: Re: [Fwd: Example Scenarios Used Within the Aerospace Industry]

Abid,

Please see below.

Cheers,

Chris

Abid Farooqui wrote:

> Dear James,
> So let me understand this correctly.
> As far as I can make out from your kind answers below what seems to be the case is
> that :
> 1) ebXML can be used as a messaging mechanism to deliver traditional EDI to
> traditional EDI engines

Yes, it can.

> 2) Now you mention 2 problems:
> "First, it must correctly interpret the element that identifies the schema
> (such as X12) in which the payload documents are encoded, so it can send
> that data stream to something that can interpret it.  (Like your EDI engine.)"
> My question to that is : Doesn't ebXML messaging has in it some indicator that
> describes what kind of data it is and if not ... why?

Yes, it does. This is the purpose of the Manifest. Of course, there are other
elements of the ebXML SOAP extension headers that the message service can
use for purposes of internal dispatching of messages to the appropriate handler
application. These include the CPAId, Service and Action elements. The CPAId
can be used to identify a CPA (whether a true CPA document or an implied or
logical "agreement" between the parties that specifies what messages will
be exchanged, etc.). The Service and Action elements can be used for internal
dispatching as well. Again, ebXML MSH places no specific constraints on
how these elements are (or are not) used in any given implementation.

> "Second, it must correctly apply the ebXML business signals so that it can
> read and process the simple business-rule context of that payload -- Is
> this a response?  A request?  To what?  Is it logically dependent on or
> conditioned on another message already received, or to come?  Is this
> binding?  Does it conform to whatever rules for acknowledgement, encryption
> or signature are invoked?"

The business signals referred to here are those that are defined in terms
of an ebXML business process. The business signals are low-level messages
that parties exchange to signify things such as:
	- I've received your message
	- I've pre-processed your message and it passed the preliminary
	edits
	- ...

The ebXML Business Process Specification Schema specification describes these
in more detail. Business signals may, or may not be necessary. This is clearly
the realm of the "owner" of a business process to determine. Typically, this
would be the purview of a vertical standards body such as OTA, RosettaNet, OAG, etc
or a horizontal standards body such as X12 or EDIFACT, etc.

> Isn't this what an ebXML server would do anyway? I think these are basically
> requirements for an ebXML platform, regardless of EDI payload or any other payload.
> Am I correct?

Basically, yes.