Subject: RE: [Fwd: Example Scenarios Used Within the Aerospace Industry]

immediately to solve message exchange needs.

Rachel Foerster

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Haugen [mailto:linkage@interaccess.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 6:20 AM
To: 'Abid Farooqui'; 'ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org'

Abid Farooqui asks:
>Has any one tried using some modelling tools to come
>up with business document specification. I guess OO EDI was doing that but
>it was not very condusive to XML but to other technologies like CORBA which
>are much more complex.

UN/CEFACT Modeling Methodology (UMM), the recommended methodology
for ebXML, contains a package of classes called Economic Modeling
Elements that define the basic primitive objects for most electronic
commerce.

The terms are fairly abstract because they are metamodel elements,
but they would be subclassed into whatever terminology was common
to an industry for real use.

Instead of a PO, there is an EconomicCommitment, which means
the promise to execute an EconomicEvent (such as deliver the goods)
at some future time.  EconomicCommitments could represent the
delivery schedule part of a Purchase Order.  There is also an
EconomicContract class that represents any kind of bundle of
commitments, such as a PO or a long-term contract or a
supply chain release schedule.

Instead of ShippingNotices and PaymentNotices, there are
EconomicEvents, which represent the transfer of ownership
or control of an EconomicResource, such as a product,
service or financial instrument.

EconomicEvents fulfill EconomicCommitments, for example,
product deliveries and payments fulfill the commitments of
PO Line Items.

Those Economic Modeling Elements may be what you are looking
for as the object-oriented primitives of electronic commerce.
They are the bare minimum.

See the Business Process and Business Information Analysis
Overview and Business Process Analysis Worksheets and
Guidelines at http://www.ebxml.org/specs/index.htm

Good luck,
Bob Haugen