Subject: FW: How to Create an ebXML Order (EDI 850 transaction set)

Arofan asked me to forward this to the list....

Duane

-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory, Arofan [mailto:arofan.gregory@commerceone.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2001 10:30 AM
To: 'John Evdemon'; 'Duane Nickull'
Cc: ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org; James Blakeney; Kevin Kail;
'jon.bosak@sun.com'; Probert, Sue

John/Duane:

I feel I should respond to this thread, since I have been working with EDI
standards for a long time, and am familiar with the XEDI approach.

I do not feel like arguing the merits of existing standards - and I am both
EDIFACT's biggest fan and worst critic, depending on what aspect of EDI you
are talking about (good: it provides a huge wealth of valuable experience;
and bad: it has experienced a kind of bloat over the years that wasn't a
problem with point-to-point TP relationships but that is harshly inimical to
interoperability when you're trying to leverage the network effect of a
global network such as the internet).

XEDI has a strength in that it allows easy and complete carriage of existing
XML standards, and it is an excellent approach for some applications, mostly
those focusing on transformation, since it has rendered a flat-file format
into an XML format capable of being subject to XSL transforms, etc. Where it
fails - and the thing that makes it unsuitable for use with most existing
XML technologies as a basic standard - is that it makes it impossible to
validate business semantics with an XML parser. All it allows you to
validate is the structural relationships within the EDI mesage. Compliant
XML parsers will not tell you whether you have obeyed the semantic rules
embedded in the schema or DTD, since these are not enforced.

Consequently, business applications need to do all of their own validation.
This was a necessary part of legacy EDI applications, and so is not a huge
problem for legacy systems. However, XML frees you from this burden, saving
huge costs in terms of writing application code (or buying a commercial
system to perform this validation).

When we talk about enabling SMEs, one of the biggest challenges is lowering
costs, and XEDI fails to embrace a basic aspect of XML processing that makes
this possible. It is  a useful technology, but it is not a good basis for a
language that is focused on describing business semantics, rather than
structural ones.

Cheers,

Arofan Gregory