Subject: Re: web services uber alles? [was] Re: [ebxml-dev] RE: ebXMLdeliveries

"Welsh, David" wrote <snipped>:

> > Even if all of this isn't science fiction (and I'm still not
> > convinced
> > that is isn't), it's starting to remind me a lot of the OSI saga.
> > A grand vision, but by the time it was finished a better mousetrap
> > came along and no one cared any more.
> >
> > Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it...
> >
> > I'll shut up now, Monday is nearly over... ;^)
> >
> > </editorial comment>
>
> Well ... uhmmm ... ok, I guess (!) but I'm not sure what your point is

Just being a curmudgeon I guess ;^).  But please allow me to be a bit grumpy on a Monday after having invested 18 months and considerable personal resources in ebXML and having it wind up like it has.  (I read two comprehensive articles on "Web Services" in recent trade journals today and there were
no mentions of ebXML.  BTW - I've about concluded that, regardless of whatever definition the WSDL folks have for "web services", the current usage is so broad that the term is pretty meaningless.  I can probably find a way to say that my dogs offer web services.)

I guess my mention in the particular context about the BPSS was inspired by your mention of "140" change requests to fix the BPSS 1.0 spec.   If 1.0 was that off the mark and it took 18 months to get out, I can only wonder how long it will take a usable 2.0 or mature 3.0 to hit the streets.  IMHO the
ebXML work needs to radically reduce its immediate scope to things that business really care about and leave the bells and whistles for later, if ever.  I'm not holding my breath for that to happen though.

I'll *really* shut up now...

--
Michael C. Rawlins, Rawlins EC Consulting
www.rawlinsecconsulting.com